My Craft Blog

Hi there, my name is Marcia, I am happy to meet you and share my craft makes and ideas with you. I hope you enjoy looking. Please feel free to join my blog and leave me comments, especially if they are helpful ones! I love to learn new craft techniques and am more than happy to share the ones I have found. Thank you for looking.....

Saturday 31 August 2013

Mixed Media Mirror


I have wanted to do a mixed media piece for a long time and when I saw a very plain pine mirror at the carboot - for 50p I just had to have it!  I knew it had to have a crackle effect base, so that's where I started!  Painted the base coat a lovely dark pink, acrylic paint, then applied a coat of crackle medium specially designed for use with acrylic paint.  Waiting for this to dry sufficiently is always a problem as I am so impatient! Once dry (about 30 mins) I then applied another coat of acrylic paint, this time in cream.  This part is always great as you can see the paint crackle before your very eyes!!  I then gave the whole thing a couple of days to settle down and harden before I did a little light sanding all over just to roughen the finish a bit.  In retrospect I think I prefer the finish you get just using ordinary household emulsion paint and pva glue for the crackle as you get a smoother matt finish.  Then it was on to the exciting stuff - I used Sheena Douglass ivy stamp for the leaves, then hand painted them with Pebeo Acrylic paints.  After that it was simply a matter of applying a little extra decoration here and there, so I tore strips of some papers I already had, inked the edges with Tim Holtz Spun Sugar and the middles with Antique Linen as they were just too white!  Applied with a little watered down pva glue for a good smooth finish.  After that it was just a large flower to be added  and a few butterflies and there you have it - finished!


I had so much fun doing this, and it doesn't look too bad for a 50p bootsale mirror!

I hope you enjoy looking at this as much as I enjoyed decorating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment